Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Thursday, December 22, 2011

It rained a ton last Sunday....part of the storm....

Hey Family!

We had a good, but really busy week here in STA Monica. I finally got your package out today. I unfortunately didn't get to send everything. There was a photo frame made of wood that I got for dad but it was too big and it would have cost 2ce as much to send it. It was too bad because it's really nice. I will just have to keep it for the rest of my mission and bring it home then. Last week was super busy, we actually didn't have a whole lot of time to work. But we did teach some good lessons and things went all right.

Our investigators are doing really well. Tatay Carleto and Pass still have word of wisdom problems with coffee and alak. But I heard from Tatay's daughter in law, who we just began teaching last week, that he has stopped a lot since we have been teaching him, apparently he used to get drunk a lot but now it's only for special occasions and he doesn't even get drunk anymore. It's still really sad that he can't stop yet. He has been one of my favorite people to teach my whole mission and I just love the guy so much. His daughter in law is really kool. We met her a few weeks ago and she was actually home when Tatay wasn't so we just taught her. It was a good lesson. Unfortunately they couldn't come to church because of all the rain we got. It rained a ton last Sunday. I think that was part of the storm but that's about all we got.

We had our first district meeting last week and we really just had a good discussion about why people go inactive and what we can to to re-activate because that is the focus of the church. We are going to teach people and help them really endure to the end and get them to the Temple. So we are really focused on that. We also practiced for our LDS night which was last Wednesday. There was a pretty big turn out. We sang at Mendoza park and it went really well. It was a bit stressfull because we got it all together last Tuesday but it went really well. Some of the acts were also really good. The STA Monica youth did a dance and were amazing! All in all it was a really fun night.

I also went on exchanges with Elder Hyde last week and did another baptismal interview in his area. I actually taught this person before, his name is Ben and he is really kool and really excited to be baptized. We might go to his baptism. I really like doing interviews. The candidate is always really excited and it's really great to see that.

Friday we didn't teach one lesson because we had a Christmas party for all the Palawan missionaries with President and Sister Stucki. It was really fun, we had a gift exchange and ate and shared talents. I did a song with Sister Roque that I had never heard before, but I played Elder Cooper's acoustic and she sang. It went pretty well. We sang my Grown Up Christmas List. I have never heard that song. haha.

I am going to try and call Sunday night where I am here. I am still going to do a set up call though just to make sure and see what you guys think. I don't have a whole lot to say right now. I'm really excited to call home and hear how everyone is doing and yea. It's only 30-40 minutes this time because that is what is in the missionary handbook and President Stucki is not President Howard, so President Howard was just more lenient then President Stucki and President Stucki is just more to the book than President Howard. I'm still really excited though, if I could talk to all of you that would obviously be the best. But we will know more I guess once we get closer. Try and have everyone near a phone though. I'm going to only take about 5 minutes with the set up call. I won't call when you aren't home. :)

Well I really love my mission. I'm sad that I only have a year left. I have really developed a love for learning and teaching. Elder Hyde told me I teach really good and it is very easy to understand. I love the people I teach and seeing changes happen in their life. I miss you guys a lot and I pray for you every day. Well that's about it for this week! Haha. Love you!

Elder Chris Gagnon

P.S. Chris called us at 6:42 a.m. on Monday morning before we had a chance to read this email and he sounded great! All was well after Tropical Storm Washi went through Puerto Princesa and he said they only had tons of rain, but no damage. What a relief and a great surprise to hear from him...it made our week and we can't wait to talk to him on Christmas Day! (Nancy)

No comments:

Post a Comment