Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week 5 at the MTC

Kamusta po Nanay at Tatay!

I brought my planner with me to the computers today so I can write you what my schedule is like for the week. By the way, weeks start on Friday and end on Thursday, so that's why I am starting on Friday....We wake up at 6:30 a.m, have breakfast at 7:00 a.m., plan for the next day as a companionship at 9:00 p.m., have small district meeting at 9:20 where we discuss how goals went/hand out letters/pray/then we have this thing where we put three fingers in the middle of a circle and say "Tatlo D!" which means 3D, which is our district number. Elder Andrus made that up the 1st or 2nd week we got here. Then get back to our residence for 9:30, be quiet at 10:15, then lights out at 10:30....

In between we have the following at different times each day: personal study (P.S.), companion study (C.P.), Missionary directed time - MDT (which is pick up mail, shop, study....usually study), Large group meeting (last LGM was when Brother Collette taught us about how to use the Book of Mormon and the questions it answers). We also have Missionary Directed language study, Gym, class (klase) with Brother Molina or Brother May and service.

So this is what a typical Sunday(Linggo) looks like...last Sunday my day went like this....
7:00 a.m. MDT/with interviews
8:00 Breakfast
8:30 MDT/Interviews
10:10 Priesthood meeting
11:30 MDT/Interviews
12:00 District meeting where one of the companionships in the district teaches a lesson. Elder Johnson and I taught this week about the plan of salvation.
12:50 Tanghalian (Lunch)
1:45 Sacrament meeting
3:00 Temple Walk
4:00 MDT
5:45 Hapunan (Dinner)
6:30 MDT
7:00 Fireside where someone speaks to us...Last night we had Stephen B. Allen again. He is the manager of the missionary training department. He is a great speaker though. He spoke to us about how trials are a blessing in disguise.
8:00 p.m. it was movie night and we watched a movie about the Salt Lake temple. It was good, but the Joseph Smith movie was on too and that's like the main movie. I have already seen it twice, it's amazing! At the end, everyone always walks out crying....Elder Andrus just told me he shed a tear last night when he watched it....

Monday (Lunes) we do pretty much anything till 4:30. I like to go to the temple first thing in the morning, then get everything else done, then study. So far today, we went to the temple and did initiatories. Later today we will have class with Bro. Molina and a Zone teaching appointment (ZTA)where we teach the other district in our zone. We have to teach in Tagalog now. Last week for the ZTA it went ok, but Elder Johnson didn't say anything at all....he doesn't say anything when we teach in Tagalog or English....we're working on that this week.

Last Tuesday(Martes)we had a devotional with a talk by Elder Kearan of the 70. It was a great talk...he said we should listen twice as much as we speak because we have two ears and only one mouth. It was my favourite talk so far....

Last Thursday (Huwebes) we had class with Brother Molina. During this class though is when we have our teaching appointment with a fake or real investigator. First during this we have our Wika (language) task where we have to talk about something random, then share a spiritual thought. Last week we had to go to an investigators restaurant, order food, then share a spiritual thought about prophets and schedule an appointment with them all in Tagalog. Then we have to teach them 5 mins. later, answer any questions they might have just had, and teach them a lesson in Tagalog. Last week was lesson 1, but we mostly spoke about prophets and the restoration. After that we did weekly planning in Bro. Molina's class, which is where we pick what we want to learn for the classes and goals we want for the next week. Then we had companionship inventory where we pretty much vent about things we hate about our companion....Just kidding! It's pretty much just discussing how the companionship is going and stuff.

So those are the things that go on in my day to day schedule. This week was great! I studied a ton of Tagalog. I'm speaking about 50% now, the goal is 100%, but it's hard remembering all the words and such. It is going great though. I'm hoping Elder Johnson will teach tonight. We're going to practice sometime during the day.

I worked on my talk last Saturday (Sabado) and it was actually really good! I was happy with it. It was on pananampalataya (faith) and I was happy with it, BUT I didn't speak. Sister Scott, Elder Andrus (who did a great job) then President Taylor called on one more. He called Elder Nalesoni (from our zone, from Australia) and he did alright. I also didn't play piano this week. Elder Taylor played this week and I think I might have to next week.

My camera still won't work...I'm going to buy another memory card and send the other one back today. You guys should have gotten the second one I sent (the one that works) by now. Theresa should have it and you guys have the paper saying what the pictures are of. Oh please tell Justin that me and Elder Tuitama both have the "S" whistle now! I say it while giving a prayer or teaching a lesson it Tagalog. The reason is because one of the counsellors in the MTC presidency, Brother McIff has it and it's VERY loud, so Elder Tuitama and I both did it, jokingly at the time....and now it's kind of permanent for both of us, which is kind of embarrassing....

Anyways, I guess that's about it for now. Please thank the Blakemores for their Dear Elder! And please tell Theresa thanks for all her many (and long) Dear Elders. I love reading everyones letters.

Thank you guys for the Dear Elders, Krispie Kremes and the package...I can't remember if that was last week or this week, but thanks! I really love being on a mission, it's really hard but also so rewarding because you feel the spirit all the time! It's amazing! I love it!

Thanks guys! Mahal kita Nanay at Tatay! (which means I love you Mom and Dad)

Elder Chris Gagnon

P.S. Also please tell Sid (Theresa's grandfather) Happy Birthday! I saw it in one of her DE that it was his birthday....Also I forgot to tell you that I'm going to need about 5 - 6 new polyester ties! Thanks Guys! I still have time...BTW, Love you!

P.P.S. The scripture I chose for my plaque is going to be Matthew 28:19-20, unless someone has already done it. If not, then great! Anyways, gotta get to class, teaching sa Tagalog tonight!

Mahal kita!

Elder Gagnon

No comments:

Post a Comment