Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Monday, January 24, 2011

First 5 Days at the MTC!!!

Hey Mom and Dad,

I've been here 5 days and with the amount of stuff I've learned it feels like it's been 6 months! :)

So right after I left you guys on Wednesday Elder Anderson, the missionary who was there, took me to the place where we get our nametag and a bunch of other stuff. He was telling me stuff like everyone cries their first day, but it was weird because right after I left you guys I had stopped crying which was good. So I was talking to a few people who were in line with me and one of the elders is going to Montreal Chinese speaking. I told him he would love it and stuff. Then I got to my room, where I was greeted with a ton of little toy army men all facing me. And the closets were both shut with an undone clothes hanger! So I dropped off my stuff right away, then Elder Anderson took me to my class room and dropped me off there. I went to sit down, then this little Asian guy comes up to me and starts speaking Tagalog, but really fast! Then he started speed walking away, so I followed him and then he took me to a computer where I had to watch a video about gym and rules about gym and whatnot. Then I finished the gym orientation, wasn't sure what to do, but neither did the other elder sitting behind me who also came from the same class, we both assumed to go back to class. So we did, we both sat down with a bunch of other Elders, then another taller guy was speaking in Tagalog, but used his hands to tell us what to do without speaking a word of English. He told us to write notes, so I did. I took down a bunch of stuff written in Tagalog. I found out that class how to say "how are you", and just a bunch of casual things to start a conversation. At the end of class we found out that the tall guy and the short asian guys names are Brother May (tall guy) and Brother Molina (short asian guy). They are both our teachers. Then they introduced us to our companions. Mine are Elder Comish, and Elder Morris. Elder Comish was born in Germany but lived in South Carolina most of his life and Elder Morris is from Denver, Colorado. We are the only 3 out of the 7 guys in our district/batch/class going to Manila, so the 3 of us are companions and all have the same room, while the other 4 are split in companionships of 2 and all have to share one room. After class, we had supper then went back to our residence, then we had an interview with our branch president, then we went to bed. The other guys in my batch are all really cool too. I only have 2 minutes left, so I'm going to write as much as I can really fast.....I was kind of taking my time while writing this, then I found out I only have 30 mins. to write....next week I will have more.

Anyways, the language is going really great. I know a lot so far, including how to pray and bear my testimony. I really feel the gift of tongues kicking in really fast.

Last night, we had a talk by Stephen B. Allen which was great, he is the managing director for the missionary department. I felt the spirit alot!

Anyways, I really love both of you so much, thanks for sending me stuff!

Love Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment